BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Texas A&M Clones Horse

Now, I try to stay as far away as possible from talking on cloning because it's something a lot of me (including me) feel extremely strong about. But I read this article and couldn't stop myself.

Story

Researchers at Texas A&M University have delivered the first clone of a horse using a live mare's egg cells.

The group, led by Dr. Katrin Hinrichs, took a biopsy of skin cells from the horse to be cloned. DNA was put into the egg cells, called oocytes, recovered from a live mare. Viable embryos were developed and sent to Hartman Equine Reproduction Center, an embryo transfer facility in Texas.

The cloned horse is named Marc, a Lippizan stallion. The owner wanted a horse just like him, but couldn't find one.
Horses are not robots. Horses are not chairs. You will NEVER find another horse exactly like him. I'm not even entirely sure why you'd want one. If you came up to me and offered me a horse that was exactly like Lady, I'd run away. Because even if the horse looks like her, it's not her.
Dr. Hinrichs' lab is noted for achieving the first cloned foal in North America. The lab has produced twelve cloned foals in the last three years.

Hinrichs noted that while the clone (named Mouse) is truly an identical twin to the original horse, Marc, that there will be differences as the foal grows due to environmental influences.

So basically people trying to create horses that are exactly like a horse they loved is a complete waste of time and money because what they get is a horse that looks exactly like that horse on the outside, but isn't the same on the inside.

0 comments: